Monday, November 30, 2009

We need great equipment because...

I always thought that riding tools help create great rides the way writing tools help produce great writing. Other aspects of the ride or the writing seem far more important.

Here, from today's NY Times, is proof, if you want to think about it that way. Because I have no wish to sneak this up on you, I'll tell you that it's about Cormac McCarthy's typewriter. He bought it for $50 in Knoxville TN in the early '60s, but I tell you what - it's been a good ol' typewriter....

1 comment:

Andrew Love said...

I read that article as well, and cemented my desire to have an old typewriter again, just like I used to use in high school to write papers on.

Then I realized the old steel rusty bianchi in the garage is beloved for much the same reasons.

I write this comment on an iBook, my usual ride is a scary expensive carbon bike that weighs less than half my first mountain bike.

However wonderful my ibook and Tarmac are, there is something satisfying about old steel, like the clack of manual typewriter keys..

refreshing precisely because of their place in time, their connection to some good old days, refreshing for their uselessness to anyone.... except me..

keep on writing/riding... it's the same part of the soul after all....