Monday, September 28, 2009

My buddy D's thoughts on bikes as fashion....

D forwarded me a link to a NY Times piece about Dutch bicycles and clothing designed specifically for folks who want to be seen cycling in the Big Apple. I wrote that all that had nothing to do with cycling as we know it, and asked him if he thinks this fashion spotlight is "good" for cycling. When the fad fades, will some of these folks keep riding? Here's D's response:

Hi Maynard,
I think it's good for cycling. Visability, celebrity-types pedaling, haute couture. I used to always say fashion knows no practicality, but now I have to re-think that.

While it doesn't have much to do with cycling as we know it, it does hark back to the days of yore (late 1800s, early 1900s) when cycling was new and fashionable. The fashion folks had to come up with new styles for the bloomers women were suddenly allowed to wear for riding. Folk were much more formal in their attire back then - 110 years ago - even for leisure and recreational activities - like the two-piece swimming outfits for men, bathing dresses for women - and suits and ties for picnics. So, in a way, we're back to the future.

If I were to clean up my mountain/city bike, I could see myself riding to church in my bow tie, slacks and sport coat. The helmet wouldn't go too well. It's only 3 miles, though 2/3 of it is up a 4% hill. I'd have to dawdle in the granny so as to not overheat too much. Ahh, the price you pay for fashion statements.

yours awheel, D

1 comment:

Earle said...

Big upright city bikes feel entirely different from sport bikes, either mountain bikes or road bikes. I've had Raleigh DL-1's and similar Chinese one-speeds, and they are great for the kind of dressed-up slow cruising D describes.