Friday, August 21, 2009

A heartwarming Costco tale

A nice story from an elderly gentleman forwarded by my buddy Jim in the Springs (that's what Coloradans call Colorado Springs):

Yesterday I was at COSTCO buying a large bag of Purina Dog Chow for my loyal pet, Biscuit the Wonder Dog. I was in the checkout line when the woman behind me asked if I had a dog.

What did she think I had, an elephant?

Since I'm retired and maybe a little bored, on impulse I told her that no, I didn't have a dog, I was starting the Purina Diet again.

I added that I probably shouldn't start that diet again because last time I ended up in the hospital, but that I'd lost 50 pounds before waking up in Intensive Care with tubes coming out of most of my orifices and IVs in both arms.

I told her that it was essentially a perfect diet. The way it works is that you load your pockets with Purina nuggets and simply eat one or two every time you feel hungry. The nuggets are nutritionally complete - so it works well and I'd decided to try it again.

I have to mention here that practically everyone in line was now enthralled with my story.

Horrified, she asked if I ended up in intensive care because the dog food poisoned me.

I told her no, I stepped off a curb to sniff an Irish Setter's ass and a car hit us both.

I thought the guy behind her was going to have a heart attack he was laughing so hard.

Costco won't let me shop there anymore.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maynard, This message has nothing to do with your subject matter. Now for something completely different, I am a fan of yours from Motorcycle Sport&Leisure and live in St Louis. Until recently my good friend Lee Cowie was US distributor and I have stuffed many hundreds of copies of MS&L for mailing through the years. I am currently visiting my son in Castle Rock and riding my dual-sport Suzuki in the Front Range. I would enjoy meeting you sometime when I am visiting CO. One of our favourite spots is Pete's Greek place on Colfax. I realize this is too short notice for this trip but maybe in the future. My email is: rollnstones@charter.net
phone local 720 271 7322
Blaine Stone
PS My son say's you must be alright if you ride a Waterford.

Anonymous said...

the previous post is actually by Blaine Stone, Dean is the son who has an email account with google.