Sunday, November 25, 2007

Sunday, 12-25, Noon

This post relates to two topics you'll recognize from my blog: my Bike Friday and Stan's Sealant.

When Tamar and I opened the boxes and assembled our new Pocket Rocket Pros nearly 18 months ago, we discovered that the tires on both bikes were Kenda Kwests, meaty-looking, 100psi road tires to suit our 451mm diameter rims: one of the two common "20-inch" sizes.

We also realized that we had no spare tubes. Tamar worked in a bike shop but it did not stock presta-valve 20" tubes. We thought, we'll risk it, and went on a couple of rides without spare tubes. On the second of those rides, I flatted.

I wrote Bike Friday about how pleased we were with our bikes, but I added a suggestion: include a tube or two to suit each bike. Add a few dollars to the price to cover the cost. Don't leave your excited new customer with no means to fix a flat on the roadside.

After 18 months of riding, I would further suggest that the nice folks at BF not sell bikes with Kenda Kwests, and not offer them through their parts and accessory sales department.

I've only had one or two minor quibbles with my Pocket Rocket - and one vexing problem: those damned tires.

I flatted again this morning, flatted my remaining Kenda Kwest. Months ago I replaced the rear Kwest after so many flats I was disgusted. Now I'm replacing the front tire for the same reason. This morning, the tire had two holes in it about an inch apart. Once you'd removed the tire and pulled out the tube, you could see light through the holes.

The Stan's Sealant blew all over the ground and the front of my bike, but could not seal the two large holes. Too much to ask of any sealant, I'd say.

If I had to put a number on it, I would say that I have dealt with 15 flats between the two Kenda tires. I have always replaced the tubes with new tubes, so it hasn't been failing patch-jobs. And no tires came off rims because of sloppy installations.

The tread cuts on the Kwests are perfectly sized to catch tiny bits of gravel. You cannot tell the trapped bits of gravel from tiny nail heads; you have to pick each bit of rock out of the tread so you can look at your tire and feel good about it. It's a nuisance.

If you own a Bike Friday with 451mm wheels and you are about to buy tires, or if you are about to buy a Bike Friday and can request this tire or that tire, please do not select Kenda Kwests. We've had nothing but good luck with our Schwalbe Stelvios...for instance.

If you read my blog and you feel that I'm wrong wrong wrong about this, and I'm unfairly damning a fine bicycle tire, send me a comment. Tell me how durable YOUR Kwests have been.

Added later: If you are interested in BFs and BF tires, the comment below, written by Bike Friday's well traveled Customer Evangelist Lynette Chaing, is well worth the reading.

1 comment:

galfromdownunder said...

Hey Maynard
I have had great luck with my Kenda Kwests on my Crusoe, but they're 406 mm 1.5" ones I believe, used for gravel as well. Took them everywhere in Hawaii and also up Peru and across Route 66 (see www.galfromdownunder.com/talks). I didn't even know they made 'em for Pocket Rocket size wheels. On my 451 Pocket Rocket Pro I'd only use Kevlar Stelvios, Primo Champs (kinda skinny and harsh but super light and kinda make you feel fast) or the good old standbys standardly issued with Pocket Rockets, IRC Roadlites - which are not kevlar but seem reasonably durable. BTW if you ever get stuck I'm told that you can use a regular size tube at a pinch - just fold it in there - many people have done it!