Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Dave Moulton's bike blog...sigh...

It is with a spirit of respect and awe that I suggest checking out Dave Moulton's bike blog. Moulton, who began riding in England as a teenager, emigrated to the US and made bikes here, for himself (Moulton, Fuso etc) and for Masi in its San Diego incarnation.

I remember a bike-fit piece he contributed to VeloNews years ago, maybe around 1980; I recall being impressed by the clarity with which he presented information and his conversational style. I'm sure his words were printed as-submitted, untouched by hidden hands.

I am torn in recommending that you follow the link to Moulton's blog. I'm jealous, I guess.

Moulton talks about many of the same things that I do. He's far better equipped to write about technical aspects or cycling's history in the UK and the world. He has been a student of the sport since the latter half of the '50s, after all. He's a novelist and seemingly effortless writer.

He talks, as I mentioned, about many of the same things I do, about cars and bikes, about PIBs (People on Bikes) and cyclists, about the old and the new... I'm beyond impressed by the quality of his posts and the number of them.

If you yearn to learn about cycling from a man who has followed the sport and industry and culture for almost 50 years, I do not believe you could do better than to bookmark this link:

http://davesbikeblog.blogspot.com/

3 comments:

Dave Moulton said...

Thanks Maynard, you are too kind.
Dave.

Anonymous said...

You both rock. I really like your short sentences especially, MH. In fact, I thought your recent column in the Bicycle Paper was about as in-your-face as I've read. Yeah, the Demon SUV drivers are terrorists, and it makes me depressed as hell to realize that--and the worst part is that these goons think their poop just doesn't stink.

BTW, our office moved to a different part of town, and I've been commuting to it on my rebuilt '93 MB-3, which resembles a Dutch commuter more than anything else. And I've been wearing street clothes to do it. No one's hassled me yet. Part of my commute also takes me through a glorious old City cemetary. Very cool in a strange way.

Keep on keepin' on.

Anonymous said...

Dave's Craftsmanship = in (Bike) FRAMES, not webdesign. Others in the bike industry are more swayed. My proving of this = that out of all My (high-end bike) Names: (my)Dave Moulton [Professional] has the ~BEST~ "Feel."