Saturday, November 10, 2007

Here a Brooks, There a Brooks...

I have a Rivendell-framed bicycle, blue and graceful and beautiful. I am proud of my Rivendell and of my friendship, 20 years old now, with Grant Petersen, the man behind the brand.

Occasionally, I am surprised by my fellow Rivendellers, owners of the various brands of bikes conceived by, designed by and made for the company. I admit I become afraid that they are owners, not riders. Often it's a hunch based on flimsy evidence and my cynicism.

This time, I followed a link on the Rivendell site to Flickr, to a page featuring photos of hundreds of Rivendells and Salukis and A. Homer Hilsens and Gloriouses and Willburys and Bleriots and...I can't recall all the models.

Visible and identifiable in fully nine out of 10 of the photos (of bikes owned by hundreds of individuals) were Brooks saddles. Old-fashioned, pricey, heavy, leather-with-rivets Brooks saddles. Saddles that 10 years ago were considered as ancient as rotary phones, too heavy for fishing sinkers, too easy to ruin in wet weather and too painful to endure.

Even Grant, who sells certain Brooks saddle models, will not claim that those seats are for everyone. Some people, a few, will find them comfortable enough to put up with the weight, expense and hassle. Not most people; not even half the people. Some people.

But nearly all the proud people who posted photos of their Rivendell bicycles on Flickr have chosen Brooks saddles. Isn't that strange? Can they all, as my friend Corey suggests, have the same ass?

We touch our bicycles in five places: both feet, both hands and our butts. Lots of riders have trouble with their feet and hands, but saddle problems far outnumber other cycling afflictions. Saddles, therefore, are an industry. Saddle developments are reported in the papers. New systems of saddle fitting are announced almost daily. Some may help. Who knows.

It's a mystery, saddle fitting; there are no rules. No one can tell you what saddle you should buy. There is no "perfect" seat. There are only dozens or hundreds of models to choose from.

Most good bike stores will loan you one to try. Maybe they'll loan you five at a time; if you find one you like, you return four and buy the one. Maybe none of the five will work. It's that personal and individual.

Somehow, despite all this mystery and multiplicity of choices, a staggering number of Rivendell owners choose the Brooks saddle, as far from the saddle mainstream as a saddle can get.

"Let's buy Brooks saddles. Let's not even try the hundreds of saddle models offered in ordinary storefront bike shops. Let's ride a Brooks. Hey, it'll be comfortable. And it's old-school, authentic and cool-looking! Perfect for our timeless Rivendells."

All those people, all over the country, bending over on the bike, sitting up on the bike, sitting too high, sitting too low, riding in cycling shorts, riding in jeans, riding in chain mail. Thin people, fat people, fast riders, slow riders...all riding the same saddle. Improbable, huh?

Maybe any saddle will do if you merely look at your bike and don't sit on it much. Or if you ride it to the Daily Grind one morning a week to read the Sunday NY Times.

That's not a kind observation, but it's what occured to me when I saw the hundreds of similarly saddled Rivendells on the Flickr page. Check out any group of seasoned bike riders, racers or commuters or tourists. No two saddles the same.

To think the best of all those Brooks folks, let's imagine that, sure enough, they all have the same ass. I'm sure that's the secret. Corey's right.

4 comments:

Jon said...

Or, could it be that the Brooks, unlike plastic saddles, will break in and conform to fit your own individual butt?

The reason you have to try five "modern" saddles in hopes of finding one which fits is that, on those saddles, you must fit the saddle. Given a few miles, and proper care, your Brooks saddle grows to fit you, even though it may not at first.

And, after that saddle is broken in and molded to your butt, the chances of it being comfortable for a random rider other than yourself is small, unless he/she puts enough miles in to remold the leather to their butt.

I'm afraid cycnicism and a rush to judgement may well have been the problem, sir.

Salvagetti Bicycle Workshop said...

I have personally owned 2 Brooks saddles and have to say that 1)Not all Brooks saddles fit the same 2)After you find the "right" one, it takes a bit of time to get it just right.

Some people may suffer for fashion and others may just love it and be stylish. Still others, as Maynard and I *know*, will look at the saddle and think how great it looks there on the bike on the wall of the garage.

Brooks has made a comeback because comfort and style have made a comeback.

Scott from Salvagetti

Jason said...

I've just discovered your blog, Maynard, and am just delighted to see it.

I, too sprung for a brooks when I got my Rivendell Romulus. I LOVE my Riv, but if someone put a gun to my head and said "you can keep only one," I'd think long and hard about giving up the saddle. I know it is heavy, but darn, is it comfy. It was that way from the very first ride.

Best - Jason

Maynard said...

Hi Jason!
I love my Riv too. What would we do without Grant, Jason? Often, even if I don't need anything, I'll just thumb through the catalog and get my fix of his style.

I'm super glad you're enjoying your bike. And your saddle...

Thanks for writing Maynard