Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Preparation of riveted leather bicycle seats

If you have mounted a fine, handcrafted, old-world Brooks saddle on your classic bicycle, and if you intend to ride the bike so equipped, you are in luck! (Really? No.)

geoffrey (lower case "g") has sent me a link to a 30 year-old procedure for breaking-in Brooks saddles. Please, if you follow the link and read the instructions, do not soon afterward drive an automobile or defuse explosive devices; the reading may make you drowsy.

If you do attempt to read them, even if you get stalled halfway through, please study the last paragraph: It's a disclaimer from the guy who passed them along - back when.

He's Ric Hjertberg, presently the marketing and product genius at FSA. For a couple of decades, Ric owned and ran the wonderful Wheelsmith stores in and near Palo Alto. I've never met Bill Boston but I'm sure he's a great guy and credible about saddle prep and care. John Howard too.

I've never heard or read a word that came from Ric Hjertberg that wasn't considered and sage and brilliant. Here's the link:

http://www.billbostoncycles.com/brooks_pro.htm

By the way, I've spent my life around cyclists for 33 years. For 31 of those years, you could not even start a dialogue about old-school leather saddles without provoking a chorus of yawns.

Now if I respectively suggest that those saddles may have become fashion items, my email inbox overflows with protests. I was about to post something about cotton cycling caps, embroidered wool jerseys and clip 'n' strap pedals, but I've come to my senses.

All that authenticity; I must've lost my head...

No comments: