Sunday, November 18, 2007

The Further Adventures of Stan's Sealant

Not long ago, I wrote about my three-flat-tire day and how disgusted I became. I told you that I was advised to use Stan's Sealant in my inner tubes. As you read, I had Stan's injected into both my Bike Friday's odd-looking 20" diameter wheels, and since then I have not had a flat tire.

I was reluctant to write about that good luck, because I could not be sure that (a) I had a puncture and the Stan's sealed it or (b) I hadn't had a puncture at all.

Just yesterday however, I discovered spots of Stan's on the back end of my bicycle: on the back of the seat tube, on the chainstay-mounted rear brake caliper and on the pivoting parts of the frame that are particular to a folding Bike Friday.

Evidently, I did have a puncture. A bit of the Stan's spewed out the tiny hole and then sealed it - so that I did not know the puncture had happened. I lost a portion of the air pressure but not enough so I noticed any softness of the tire. The residue of Stan's on the bike came off with a little diluted Simple Green.

So far, so good. No, SO good.

No comments: