Thursday, January 7, 2010

Stanley Fish in the NY Times re: Revenge Movies

Not cycling, not motorcycling. Fish talks about a film genre called revenge movies, most recently "Taken," with Liam Neeson. At the end of the piece is Fish's list of his ten favorite revenge flicks. Maybe seven of them are my all-time favorite movies - of any kind.

Honestly, I had never realized how predictable my taste is. I'd be embarrassed to admit how many times I've seen Point Blank (Lee Marvin), Get Carter (Michael Caine) and Valdez is Coming (Burt Lancaster). Oh, and The Princess Bride....for balance.

Please read the comments, many of which suggest alternatives to those films on Fish's top ten list. I'd add another Lee Marvin movie, Prime Cut, and Rolling Thunder, with William Devane and Tommy Lee Jones. Feel free to mention your own faves.

1 comment:

philcycles said...

I didn't see it in the text but there's a still from The Limey, a great movie. and I didn't real ALL the comments but I'm surprised that The 47 Ronin, surely the greatest revenge movie of all time, isn't there.
Phil Brown