Friday, March 21, 2008

Sure it's a cheap shot....

Dave Moulton recently put up on his terrific blog a post about cycling terms here in the US and in his native England, specifically "fixed-gear" vs "fixed-wheel." After a few paragraphs focusing on those terms, Moulton talks about fixed-gear bicycle riders.

Moulton does not mean traditional roadies on ancient, low-geared track irons they pedal for short, warm, leg-loosening workouts in the cold months. Uh-uh.

He’s talking about the throngs of young men and women plying the mean streets of our cities on bikes that: Refuse to coast; feature Korean War surplus pedals; offer a selection of one (1) often ill-chosen gear; will not stop themselves by mechanical means, and will not Light Up the Night or even tiny spots front and rear so drunk drivers will have something to aim at.

You may sense cynicism in my assessment of Today's Fixie Hipster Pilot. Dave Moulton, a better guy than me, sees what we all see. He nevertheless manages to see a potential bright side.

Here’s Dave:

Anyway, to sum it all up as I see it; it doesn’t matter that people are getting into this trend for all the wrong reasons. For a few, cycling will get into their blood and they will continue in some form or other long after this trend has passed.

Just as many took up mountain biking in that craze during the late 1980s, early 1990s, and later switched to road bikes. Many are the hardcore bike enthusiasts of today.

If nothing else, they will experience firsthand what it is like to ride a bicycle in traffic. Maybe as adults they will become better car drivers because of it; at least drivers who are tolerant towards people riding bicycles.

I sincerely admire Dave Moulton. Among his several fine attributes, I’d say, is optimism, a tendency to feel that things will turn out well. I hope he’s right about today’s fixie hipsters – I hope that some will eventually morph into bike riders and some will think to say hi and shrug off the cloak of haughty Eye-tee wool superiority that they scored at Goodwill.

I polled some bike shop worker friends, asking if they think that today’s fixie riders will still be pedaling in five years. (Five years? Five years is an eternity! I should have asked if today’s fixie rider will still be pedaling in five months…)

One guy said that they would not be riding and might not be walking. Their knees will be blown out, he said, because of the macho high gear ratios they have chosen for their lean, Spartan urban stealth machines. Or, I suggested, the ratio that they did not choose but that was on the bike when they bought it from the clueless guy who built it up.

To interpret, that’s a no vote. Two, really.

The young lady rider I asked suggested that fixie faddists will have moved on to some other niche activity. They will not survive watching Joe Dude gleefully jump onto the hand-riveted leather saddle of a stiff-hub bike, parroting a statement they thought was theirs alone to make.

That’s another no.

What do you think? Will they be riding tomorrow?

Will many of them, as Dave Moulton feels, keep riding - like many of the thousands of people who fell in love with off-road cycling 20 years ago?

Will they – as drivers or cyclists – adopt a pose of humility and civility? As drivers, will they wear their seat belts and turn their car lights on at night? Will they turn out to be considerate of cyclists sharing their roads?

Will they sell their collector Zippos with the cloisonné Bianchi crests on Craigslist?

5 comments:

gwadzilla said...

ah...
the urban hipsters

those cool cats take it on the chin again

they take it from all angles

the messengers do not like them ripping off the messenger chic
and the real cyclists do not like them
well... because they are just being trendy instead of being cyclists

I have had some messengers judge me for my urban chic
I walk away and grumble to myself that they look they way I do because I looked the way I did twenty years ago

there is always the new breed
there will always be the vet that knows better

I am surprised there are not more trips to the ER

I know that my small geared fixie gets me into some urban trouble
the door zone could never be more dangerous than to a person who is not dealing with the fixed gear as their second nature

the fixed gear is not my second nature

the fixed gear is just another bike in my fleet

MC said...

I must cop to having a bit of an attitude about the uniform. I made the mistake of wandering past the Dirt Rag booth @ the Interbike show last September. (Now...I like Dirt Rag, it's a good magazine w/ far better writing than what passes for acceptable in these dark non-Hershon times of bike-mag-dom but I'm not clear on why DIRT Rag has become hipster-fixxie Central.) But it has, and since it was "Beer-thirty" and time to stop the show in its tracks w/ a keg of cheap free beer the crowds were immense. I noticed right away that I was "underdressed" for the occasion. Despite my 20+ years of fixed wheel riding I lack the tattoos, piercing, trucker wallet, knickers, artfully pre-tattered messenger bag, vaguely hip-hop-ish Old Skool ball cap and general air of being too cool for my own good. Alas..."they" noticed as well and I was the recipient of more than a few glances that I translated into "What are you doing here, Pops?" I just smiled and moved on but what I was thinking was along the lines of "Screw you punk! I was doin' metric centuries on my track bike when you were still swimming around in your dad's scrotum!"

And no...I don't think that the majority of these guys wil be riding in 5 years. Any more than I think that the current crop of "Extreme" Free-ride off-roaders will be. And that's too bad.

Really.

Anonymous said...

I'll take a contrarian view. Sure, they're kids, most of them, and they're members of a tribe. But they're out there on bicycles when I'm driving around pinching my middle-aged belly fat, wishing I didn't have to drive my little SUV today because of yet another business meeting. Some of them will still be riding years from now, just like I do now, and did then. (I saw a young dude the other day who reminded me exactly of myself 33 years ago. What goes around...)

Maynard said...

Modesto,

I no-kidding hope you are right. I have a problem with people faking authenticity; it makes me cynical about those "members of a tribe." I feel I'm not perfectly fair-minded about them and their riding. That's why I called the piece a cheap shot. They ARE an easy target. I don't want to be right in my skepticism. Thanks for reading and commenting.
Maynard

FixieDave said...

I thought we had hit the high tide of the "fixie" but I guess not. I have seen a few guys buy another bike recently. Mt. Single speeds, touring and thats cool to see a few folks trying out a diffrent ride. Those are the guys who well be cycling for life....