Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Reader letters #2

This is the second of many letters in response to my asking readers of the Rivendell Reader to suggest (or reject) places for bike riders to live:

Dear Maynard:

I live in State College PA, a college town (30 000 people) smack in the middle of PA. I've been riding about 2000 miles a year in this area since 1992 and literally no one in a car has ever hassled me. I commute about 3 miles per day to my job , even throughout the winter.

There are spectacular rides in the mountains--not the Dolomites, to be sure, but a lot of fun anyway: there are a number that one can do from town--no car commute needed--that entail, say, 40-50 miles, round trip, with at least 3000 feet of climbing. Some of the climbs are as steep as anything in the Alps, just not as long--say 1.5 to 2 miles, instead of 6 or 10, at a 6 to 10 percent grade.

I don't do a lot of mountain biking, but I understand that is pretty good around here as well, especially in the "seven mountains" area.

The downside of course is winter. I generally lay off the bike for the period of Dec.-March, unless the midday temp goes over 42 degrees F. or so. I actually don't mind the layoff--it gives me time to do other kinds of exercise. I do commute year round, tho, using a balaclava, long underwear, and "bullwinkles" (handlebar mounted hand coverings) when it's cold. I have a snow bike with studded tires for the really snowy or icy days.

Summers are generally moderate, occasionally punctuated with a week or two of temperatures that hit 95 or so. On those days, obviously, one plans to be back by noon.

We have a bit of sprawl, but one is nevertheless in the country within three miles of leaving town, and traffic is not really a factor. A beautiful 19th century town, Bellefonte, is just 14 miles down the (country) road.

But as far as hostility from drivers--not a factor here. I'm not sure why. There is a monthly Critical Mass ride, but there are so few issues as far as town riding goes--except for the lack of plowing of bike paths in winter--that it's more of a social ride. We could use more bike lanes, I guess...

Good luck with your search.

AS

No comments: