Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Reader letter #4

After I wrote (see 1,001 Nightmares) that I had quit riding in fear and disgust, I asked readers of the Rivendell Reader to write to me - either to console me as a disillusioned fellow cyclist or to condemn me as a coward. Here's BR's letter:

Greetings!

Consolation or condemnation? Neither. Get back on your bike and consider some of the following. Your perspective is too important to stop.

The story relayed in "1,001 Nightmares" hints to me of an existential issue. Time to look deeply inside? Not to find blame but to aid in assessing. A few avenues to look inside include: reading or listening to "Destructive Emotions" by Daniel Goleman; reading or listening to "The Power of Now" by Eckhart Tolle; reading insight meditation writings on compassion &/or loving-kindness; establishing a meditation practice.

Places that appeal to me for living and riding exhibit some awareness by drivers of the fraility of a bicycler's existence, at least a few roads less traveled or with shoulders, and public transport availability for enhanced city exit to the hills and beyond. Examples include Ashland,OR; Portland, OR; Bainbridge Island, WA; and Port Townsend, WA.

Good luck, BR

No comments: