Saturday, March 8, 2008

Reader letter #7 - from a sentimental Battle Captain

These letters were sent to Rivendell Bicycle Works in response to a piece I wrote for the Rivendell Reader a couple of year ago, before Tamar and I moved to Denver. The piece described a scary experience I'd had and admitted to the reader that I'd hung up my bike. I'm going to limit the writer's name to initials, but I'm including his military rank. You wonder if he's had a scary experience or two himself...

I'd like to express my sympathy to Maynard for the atrocious treatment he is getting on his bicycle. I'm ever so glad that I don't have to deal with people like that.

Let me tell you about my ride: I ride roughly 15 miles to work on paved roads over rolling hills through woods and past farms. It is a sea of emerald in the summer, and a fat-tire lover's paradise in the winter. On a busy day I'll see three cars on that ride.

I am here in Kuwait with my National Guard unit due to stop-loss. My retirement will come soon enough and I'll return to my sheep farm with my wife. I am also the Staff Educator for the Trempealeau County Health Care Center.

Trempealeau County, Wisconsin is the best place for a bicyclist to be. All the roads are paved and scenic. You can easily ride for a week, never hit the same road twice, and never be disappointed with the view. If you include the nearby counties, you could multiply that time-period several-fold.

I remember seeing on a Greg Lemond website somewhere that the nearby Kickapoo Valley area was one of his three favorite rides anywhere (his wife is from the area). Doubt me? Take a look at www.triwest.net, select the tourism link and follow on to biking.

Buried in there you'll also find a map of interconnected cycling routes, with trail stewards peppered throughout who are cycling-friendly people and will help out someone in need.

Thanks,

CPT DN
Battle Captain
S3 ASG-Kuwait
Eager to Assist

No comments: