Thursday, March 13, 2008

Reader letter #13

Here's a thoughtful, heartwarming letter from a guy in Pennsylvania. He emailed me through Grant Peterson at Rivendell Bicycle Works - in response to a series of article I wrote in the Rivendell Reader about struggling with fatigue from the Car Wars.

Maynard, I think I have been going through something similar.

I have been wondering for some time if the roads are safe. Trails are great if you have access to them. Not everyone does though. So I have been thinking maybe I should ride a mountain bike so that if I need to make some emergency evasive maneuvers off of the road, at least I may be able to stay upright.

I prefer road bikes but don't own one which could mount a fat tire like a Rivendell. That would be ideal though. Someday.

For the past few months I have been walking more than I have been riding. I actually decided to do it consciously so I could concentrate a little better on my surroundings. On the bike I can certainly get out and enjoy the scenery and even stop once in awhile. But on foot I notice more.

I love those old images of David Carradine in Kung Fu walking through the desert. It's very simple. Sometimes I get too wound up in fixing or changing my bike and walking just gives me a break and some perspective. Anyone who loves bicycles and riding as much as you must will figure something out.

Thanks for all the great columns, JF

No comments: