Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Reader letter #10 - "Get back on your bike!"

Here's another in a series of letters written in response to my Rivendell Reader piece about having been scared (for six or seven months) off my bike:

I read with great interest Maynard’s 1,001 Nightmares article in RR37. It surprises me a little that a man (with zillions of miles in the saddle) would quit riding after an episode like this.

After a few confrontations spread out over a ten-year period, it has affected me somewhat, although probably more like taking a spill and gathering some road rash. What that driver unleashed on Maynard could happen to another motorist or pedestrian, let alone a cyclist. Don’t get me wrong, Maynard has my sympathies bigtime. Just, in my opinion, he overreacted a little by hanging up the bike altogether.

Carry a gun with us while riding? Heck, no. Just carry a cell phone. It is a HUGE equalizer, getting a peace officer there within minutes. More often than not, the cop will take the side of the underdog. Ultimately, he may run a quick check on mister wigout and find he has priors or outstandings. If the driver splits before a patrolman arrives, make sure to take down the license plate. Most times the cops will visit the home of the offender. If nothing else, it puts the driver on notice.

Another plus: most cellphones today take photos. I honestly believe that cellphone technology reduces crime. Somebody ought to do a study on it.

Maynard – I enjoyed talking with you at Interbike in the mid-90’s. And, of course, enjoyed reading your numerous articles here and in VN and Calif Cyclist. Get the bike out, amigo.
Best Regards, FC

No comments: