Sunday, March 29, 2009

In Bloomington, Breaking Away's credits never roll

As a few of you will know, I was raised in Indianapolis and tried futilely to go to school in Bloomington (Indiana University) in 1960. I enjoyed the town if not my classes, and stayed in Bloomington until 1966.

While there, I don't believe I ever threw a leg over a bicycle but evidently there was a thriving cycling scene - as represented in the movie Breaking Away.

Here's an article from a magazine called American Profile, about the movie, some of its stars and its refusal, in that terrific little Midwestern college town, to fade quietly away.

2 comments:

Richmond Roadie said...

Thanks for the link! I absolutely love that movie, so do my kids! I can't see any of those actors and not think of "Breaking Away".

I love the scenes where he's prepping his bike for the race. The music and shot of him trueing his wheels- good stuff!

Didn't they try to make a TV show?

theschnitz said...

Breaking Away is one the the few movies I "own." I can watch it anytime. (Oh wait, my VCR broke a year ago. Do they make those anymore?)
When I ride my '80s Masi GC, images from the movie flash through my mind. (Quick, here comes the Cinzano truck.)
Glad to know Breaking Away's influence persists in Indiana and elsewhere.