Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Weds morning at home

No appointments today: no physical therapist visit, no trip to a hospital for a blood draw or a followup doctor exam. Even if the appointment only takes an hour, door to door, it sucks up my energy and I fail to post a report on my blog.

Each day, I get a tiny bit better. Now by myself I can get my left leg down from our high bed so that my foot is on the floor. I can get my leg into and back out of the bathtub much more easily.

Small victories.

I have leg exercises and hand exercises. I do them as directed and sometimes I can sense that my fingers and leg are gaining strength and range of movement. Yesterday, I took the wheelchair down the elevator to the lobby to get Tamar's and my mail. I'd never noticed how quickly the elevator doors want to close as you try to get on.

Since I began putting these updates on my blog site, I've received comments from many of you that have cheered me and even sent thrills down my spine.

Over the years, as you'd imagine, I've met dozens or hundreds of cyclists and motorcyclists. I never feel that I am the guy (in person) that my readers would like me to be - that I fail somehow through preoccupation with myself or inability to get into the minute so I can listen to others with full focus, with all my attention.

At the computer, it's easier to be the guy you want to be, the even-handed, thoughtful friend.

When I get wonderful, supportive comments as I have this last week, I am encouraged. I think: Maybe you weren't such a disappointment after all - or not always. Thank you.

I figure that most of my (blog) readers also read Dave Moulton's posts. Since I became aware of his site, I have read him faithfully. As you surely know, Dave insists that he's pulling the plug: He's done posting to his blog. I hope Dave is not as set in this as he sounds.

I can get to my computer more easily now via walker and wheelchair. But if when I get there there are no new Dave Moulton comments to read and ponder... Come back, Dave... Come back.

5 comments:

Corey L said...

I'm happy to hear that you're making progress, Maynard. It's a long road but, even with small steps, you'll get there eventually. Keep doing your exercises!

Unknown said...

One nice thing about surgery to fix a broken bone is that, without the cast, you can take a shower or a bath. The first shower I got after 14 days in the hospital (pelvic rebuild) was one of the nicest experiences of my LIFE!

Wheelchairs are awesome but crutches are better. Keep picking up the mail and best of luck. Remember when you go to order a cup of coffee on crutches you will NOT be able to carry it :)

Anonymous said...

Jeeze! You turn your back for just a moment...

I've been away, so to speak, and had to scroll down a few pages to see what had happened to you. The femur is a big bone! Never let it be said that old farts don't go for it.

I broke my leg when I was 25. [Tib-Fib at the boot top]. It's never the same. [The truth shall set you free, but first it will piss you off].

Is your Netflix account up-to-date? I have some recommends if you like. Take lots of Vit. C. What does your helmet look like?

"Well, how did I get here?" The tape of your accident plays over and over huh?

Get well homey.

Bobby Wally

Anonymous said...

Kind of ironic that you move to Denver to get away from the moshpit of Tucson, enjoying the bike paths of the Denver area, and then you fall on a rock. But I'm sure you're aware of this.

I'm sorry this happened to you, but it beats getting hit by a car or worse. I'm going home this weekend to see my mother of 79 years who is confined to a wheelchair, and will be for the rest of her days. Every time I get on my bicycle, I think of her.

Heal up and ride again.

ScottF said...

Maynard, what the heck did you do that for? Hope you get well soon.
Not sure how I happened across your blog, but you and I shared a few miles on the Tour DuPont and other races. I drove the TV bike (with Scott the cameraman) mostly, but did the Mavic ride for the CoreStates race when I felt like a change.
My wife Michele remembers you as charming but "dangerous".
Anyway, hope you get better soon and all the best.

Regards,

Scott Foster
Wilmington, Delaware