Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Running water, outdoors

As I've mentioned, I have not been able to wash my bicycles with a hose. More accurately, I can wash the paint off of 'em but I have not been able to rinse them worth a damn. There are hose connections on our building but the handles have been removed, as is typical on apartment buildings, I guess.

I have been helping our building manager with snow shoveling. I try to clear the paths that people use for walking and cycling around the building. I have accumulated some favor points, probably. I asked him if I could use the connections. I have a hose, I told him.

He said, sure, you have to get a universal key, the device that operates the handle-less spigot. A trip to Ace Hardware provided the 4-Way Stem Key, as it's called, a short hose and a new cheap plastic nozzle. I'm giddy with excitement.

This may seem like a minor score to you homeowners and half-duplex renters with the luxury of personal garden hose access. No big deal. Perhaps it isn't a big deal. No, it is a big deal. Imagine, running water outdoors! Clean bicycles and even motorbikes! Quality of life! Hoo-ray!

No comments: