Friday, July 24, 2009

Tour fatigue is setting in....

I got up this morning and didn't watch the Tour. When I did turn the TV on, I had to check the little icon at the bottom-right to be sure I had selected Versus - the commercials look just like the ones on all the other junk channels.

After a week or so of the Tour, I begin to resent the amount of July I spend watching ads. I wish the broadcast took an hour, perhaps 90 minutes for the epic stages. We could see everything we need to see, I'd say, and not miss a Philism or Paulism.

And we wouldn't have to watch the same ads time....after time....after time.

You wonder if the ad agencies and the companies who advertise on Tour broadcasts realize that they have the same audience for three weeks, stuck there watching the same ads. Each year I swear I will not buy anything those companies sell. I know they only support the Tour because of the ad-watching demographic, and I hate them for bludgeoning us with their 60-second clubs.

Saw the ad on my TV; credit report dot com bay-bee....

I don't want extended evening coverage. I want a daily digest. I'm Tour'd out.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Skip the TV, watch it on Eurosport for FREE! No commercials though I have been getting mixed audio with Shiggett and Lerwen usually blaring over the top of the others. Today it was Spanish commentary blaring over the "at the front end of the main field..." and "roundabout 5 minutes..." but who cares about inane commentary anyway?

Cigo said...

Tivo, or DVR- totally worth it. I no longer watch commercials. Tour coverage can be watched before going to work...And when the boring-as-paint-drying peloton is noodling along in southern France with a meaningless break off the front you can fast forward through it until the final k's.