Tuesday, April 8, 2008

RIP, Randy Van Zee

Note added 4-11:
This piece got away from me. I'm writing this PS because not everyone who reads the post will read the comments. I got upset thinking about another good cyclist gone, and I let the upset push me around. I did not intend to make poor Randy Van Zee seem responsible for what happened - as if he'd have had a choice in rural Iowa of the country road or a bike path. I see many bicycle advocates as unsympathetic and unhelpful - insisting that we are legally, optimally part of traffic - as traffic mows us down. Forgive me for losing it a bit in this post.

Fifty-six year old cyclist Randy Van Zee from Sheldon, Iowa, was killed last week when a 21 year old driver hit him from behind on a country road. The driver had no insurance and may not have stopped immediately "to render aid," as the law demands.

Van Zee was not just any cyclist. He was a Race Across America finisher in '04. Wasn't easy.

His neck muscles failed in New Mexico as he rode east. The rest of the ride he wore a brace to support his head. His ankles and feet swelled terribly but he pressed on in pain. He fell off his bike in Ohio and broke his pelvis but kept riding, having to be lifted on and off his bike by his crew.

It's safe to say that Randy Van Zee was a fine bike rider, a seasoned cyclist. He was not a risk-taker. He was a grandfather and an example to his crew and the RAAM community.

Randy Van Zee was taken from his family and friends because he shared the road with motor traffic, entrusting his physical health to careless strangers.

In small-town Iowa he had no option, no other place to ride. Most of us live closer to cities where we do have options: We can ride on the streets or we can ride off-street bike trails. Had Van Zee been lucky enough to have been riding an off-street bike trail he'd be hugging a grandkid today.

So-called cycling advocates insist that bikes are traffic; cyclists should take their place on the road - a road those cyclists share with untrustworthy Americans like the young lady who took Randy Van Zee's life.

Those advocates are taking a lot on themselves. I hope they're sure they're right.

They don't just encourage cyclists to ride with traffic. They discourage highway planners from building alternative bikeways. I see their hands stained with Randy Van Zee's blood.

I've tried for years to understand their position. Since Tamar and I moved to Denver, we are able to ride off-street trails that take us all over the metro area. We are seldom exposed to Mr. and Mrs. Murderous America in their cars. We like it better and they like it better.

What's the downside? What is it about bike trails that upsets advocates so?

Granted we could have a mishap on a bike trail. We could break a collarbone or scrape a knee or elbow or both. Unlike poor Randy Van Zee, we would not give up our lives.

We wonder and we suggest that you wonder about cycling advocates who think that bike paths are roads to hell paved with good intentions. We wonder if those cycling advocates ride their bikes. What is there about a bike path or bike trail that a rider can hate?

Some so-called advocates tell planners just what planners want to hear: Don't spend any money. Don't paint lines to create bike lanes. Don't convert that old railroad right of way into a bike path. Don't create roadside paths for bikes and pedestrians.

Cyclists should take their rightful place on the road.

That's where Randy Van Zee was: in his rightful place on the road. The funeral is today in Sheldon.

PS. As Kansas Cyclist points out in his comment, this is not the most logical post I've put up on my blog site. I thought about Randy Van Zee's death and then about how many riders we've lost to drivers who were distracted or drunk or who merely tried to scare a cyclist and misjudged. That led me to thinking about our expert advocates who want us out there with traffic - because that's where we belong. Hey, it's for our own good. Those damn bike paths are dangerous...

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't entirely disagree, but many cyclists aren't fortunate enough to live near well-designed trail systems or on-road bicycle facilities, and I don't see that changing any time soon. Until trails go everywhere that roads do, or until all roads have bike lanes, cyclists will need to ride on the same streets and highways that motorists use. And someone such as Randy Van Zee, who regularly put in 1000-mile weeks as part of his ultracycling training, couldn't possibly have done so solely on trails in rural Iowa.

Maynard said...

Hi Kansas Cyclist!

If bike advocacy experts had their way, it wouldn't be just riders in rural Iowa who had to "ride on the same streets and highways that motorists use." We'd all be out there. My post, just as you observe, didn't go in a straight, logical line from Randy Van Zee's loss to urban bike paths. Thinking that folks with influence want to keep us out there and vulnerable upsets me.
Thanks for the thoughtful comment,
Maynard

Anonymous said...

Hi my name is Justin and Randy was my Voc Rehab counciler and and if it wasnt for him Id more likely be setting in jail but know he seen more in me then I did I am now following my dreams of being a chef which I am now thanks to Randy May he ride his golden bike to the heaven above,I never got to tell him thanks. But Randy will never be forgoten.

Anonymous said...

First off, I have to say I'm a big fan of your writing and enjoy your blogs and postings of your writings.

Although I understand your point about bicycle-only trails and paths, I was dismayed at the tone of your article, implying (if indirectly) that Randy Van Zee was in part responsible for his demise by riding on a road shared with automobiles. This thinking smacks of blamig the victim (aka: she was asking to get raped because she dressed provocatively).

Living in So Cal, we do have bike paths and designated bike lanes, but they are certainly not hazard-free. The bike paths are used by joggers, walkers, little kids on tricycles, people walking their dogs, etc. I've seen as many accidents on the bike paths as on the road, granted not fatalities.

What to do, what's the solution? I don't really have any new ideas or valid answers that haven't already been voiced. Perhaps a better relationship between drivers and cyclists. That said, in downtown Pasadena earlier this week, a young boy visiting with his family from the Philippines was struck and killed by a driver. All too sad.

Maynard said...

Hi Bill, and thanks for writing. I did a crummy job on that post. I wrote it in hot blood, angry that a guy like me (and probably like you), a real bike rider, had been taken from us in an instant by a driver. I had no intention of blaming Randy.
I'm so grateful that I can do all sorts of rides here in Denver w/o dealing with traffic... I was getting emotionally battered in our previous home, so many cars day after day.
Because I see how effective and pleasant the paths are, I do not understand the people who represent us - and resist the construction of paths and our use of paths. If we want to grow the sport and utility of cycling, if we want to take cars off the road, we have to have safe routes to get us cyclists where we need to go.
You know this stuff as well as I do. Forgive me for losing it a bit in the post, and maybe in this comment too. Again, thanks for the kind words and for reading my stuff so thoughtfully.

best regards, Maynard

Anonymous said...

riding in iowa has nothing to do with "small town"- we are as intelligent,resourceful,respectful,hard working,loving and fun loving as any where in the world.Randy Van Zee was never POOR Randy as you portraited him in your april 8 piece. you never knew him or anything else about his life history. how he was a huge man at one time and a heavy smoker-who quit and became a jogger,rubbing the skin off the inside of his thighs.he ran 26 mile marathons after losing 100 pounds.his knees started to bother him so he turned to cycling. most likely he replaced a nicoteen addiction with an exercise addiction-but you know what? thats OK. when you have someone driving without insurance that tells me something-THEY SHOULD NOT BE ON THE ROAD.PERIOD!!!!

Maynard said...

Anonymous -

I was about to respond to your note item by item, but I don't believe that would be useful for either of us. I'm not your enemy, Anonymous, and you need to think about your anger, not about whether I knew your friend or not. I never knew Buddy Holly either, but I sing Rave On in the shower. Does that piss you off?
Maynard

Anonymous said...

Last I checked, a bicycle was a legal vehicle with rights to the road. Look in your state's vehicle code booklet and I bet you find something! Most bike advocates DO advocate for bike lanes, but building a nation-spanning bike path is a ridiculous notion. Impatience and intolerance by all is a huge problem with our society. I implore you to ask yourself when was the last time YOU saw a bicyclist texting, talking on a cell phone, doing their make up, or just plain rushing somewhere thinking that the 2 minutes they save will make a world of difference in their life. Distracted and impatient drivers are the bigger problem here; although, there are definitely cyclists who try to take over the road--that's not right either. BTW - I've been an avid cyclist for the past 15 years. Everyone deserves the chance to live a full and enriched life in our FREE country...remember?!