Thursday, December 4, 2008

Watch what you say...

Maybe 15 years ago when I lived in the SF East Bay, I heard about an incident on Pinehurst Road between two cyclists. 

A physician, an ER doc if the story is accurate, caught another rider on the way up the long climb. The doctor noted that the guy he was catching was not wearing a helmet, and (having seen lots of cyclists with head injuries) suggested to the fellow that he might think about wearing one.

The guy hit the doctor in the face, knocking him off his bike. The slugger kept pedaling, feeling (we suppose) that justice had been done. 

Here, from Madison WI, is more evidence that mere suggestion is, in the minds of some, sufficient provocation for violence:    http://www.wkowtv.com/Global/story.asp?S=9453608

6 comments:

cyclotourist said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
cyclotourist said...

I just finished reading Snobbie's take on it... http://bikesnobnyc.blogspot.com/2008/12/bite-your-tongue-roadie-rage-and-how-to.html

Anonymous said...

For the most part I keep to myself, but I do believe I have the right to speak out in a respectful manner. "Get a light" qualifies as respectful. The possible threat of attack will not stop me.

If I make a suggestion to someone and they attack me, I am prepared and will defend myself by any means necessary.

cyclotourist said...

Meh, I'll take the beat down if it means he'll be buying me and my lawyer a new house...

Khal said...

There is way too much of this road rage nonsense going on these days. Too much ego and aggression, not enough common sense. That moron deserves to be spending a little time in the County Bed and Breakfast. Perhaps girlfriend on the Orbea will take the time to contemplate finding a boyfriend with more brains than witless braun.

Dan Brekke said...

This sounds similar to that summer-time story from Portland that started with a driver (and cyclist) sharing his opinion about riders who blow through stoplights:

http://blog.oregonlive.com/breakingnews/2008/07/angry_bicyclists_gang_up_on_th.html