Sunday, October 11, 2009

Why we have a car...as if you cared

I've heard from a few blog readers who are surprised that after years of abstaining from car ownership, Tamar and I have accepted the gift from family of a...yes...SUV. Here's why we did it.

A year and a half ago, we moved Tamar's mom from Philly to Denver, where we live. Tamar's brother had migrated from Philly to the SF Bay Area and could no longer look after Rachel. So we uprooted her and moved her into an apartment house for older folks, some of whom need a bit of watching-over. The move has proved successful. Everyone's happier.

Just a few months ago, Rachel had a heart attack. She survived and is doing well, but she often visits doctors and other healthcare professionals. Because she does not drive, the responsibility of getting her to those appointments falls on Tamar.

We've been using share cars and that has been good, but now we have a car parked out behind our apartment building, our own car, and we hope that it will work out better.

I've owned cars in the distant past; Tamar has never owned one. We felt that our car-less life together allowed us to enjoy high-road feelings. Our road is no longer so elevated.

I'm sure that the commenters who chided us for selling out were teasing, but we fear that we've caved and disappointed ourselves and others. Watch, dear reader, for signs of encroaching main-streamity. God forbid....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You got a car to serve others. Taking care of a loved one sometimes has an "ends justify the means" solution.

Your carbon footprint is quite small I'll bet.

Stay strong. [check-out Joe's site].

B. Wally

philcycles said...

I agree completely. You don't have the car for yourself-although it's nice to be able to get to the doctor yourself more easily-but to help care for Tamar's mom. And if you stop at the store on the way back, so be it. I'm sure you;ll use it judicially. I have 2 vehicles, a Subie station wagon and a honking huge GMC 3/4 ton pickup, and they sit for days while I do my errands on my bike with my damaged knee. But it will be great to have them when I'm recovering from surgery and can't ride.
Phil Brown