Tuesday, September 16, 2008

From BikeRadar.com - safety in numbers

Here's a link to an article in BikeRadar.com, a fine multi-focused cycling site. According to this piece, research in New South Wales (Australia) indicates that more pedalers on the streets means each pedaler is safer.

Tamar and I are back from a four-day trip to Indianapolis to visit my family and to spectate at motorcycle races on Saturday night and Sunday.

If you have never passed through an airport or the gigantic Indianapolis Motor Speedway as a handicapped person, I can assure you it is an eye-opening experience. There are dozens of people in the airports whose job it is to assist folks who need help.

And at the Speedway? If you've wondered what it's like for the Stones to arrive via limo to an arena show... That's what it was like.

All in stark contrast to trying to negotiate your neighborhood sidewalks in your wheelchair. Those sidewalks are an obstacle course - often nearly impossible to use. But in the airports? And at the Brickyard? Wonderful.

Terrific as it was, I would not suggest breaking a bone to experience that luxury. Just take my word for it.

I'll try to post a photo or two of the race on Sunday, held in awful, hostile weather. And maybe one of Tamar and me with my family, huddled under an awning during the lapse between the shortened 125cc GP race, the cancelled 250cc GP race and the shortened MotoGP.

2 comments:

Jay Rochlin said...

Glad you're on the comeback trail. Did you see this post about robotic bike lockers in Tokyo:

http://www.flixxy.com/high-tech-bike-storage-solution.htm

Jay Rochlin

Unknown said...

Most places are quite good about accommodating handicapped personnel but not U.S. Air. When I flew from San Francisco to Seattle (on crutches with a rebuilt pelvis) I was assigned a center seat -- which I was simply unable to get into.

The Airlines said they were sorry but they could not accommodate my needs. Accordingly, I missed my flight and took a later one.

When I returned I told my doctor and he went off the deep end. "That is against the law," he said. "They should have put you in an aisle seat."

Which is why I will never fly U.S. Air again and may they go bankrupt.

Maynard, you were treated properly. And you will never look at crutched / handicapped people in the same way again. And perhaps you might discover a way to carry a cup of coffee while on crutches . . . perhaps!