Friday, November 9, 2007

Risk? What Risk?

I wrote yesterday about the unusually high component of nervy, risk-loving individuals who ride bicycles, not all racers by any means. I'd never thought about that, but it certainly makes sense: cycling in US cities is not for the faint of heart.

As I walked down Washington Street here on Capitol Hill last night, I was reminded of that prevalence. Washington is two lanes, one-way, not brightly street-lighted and downhill between Eighth and Sixth. Traffic moves faster than is prudent, I'd say, faster than the (realistic) posted limit.

I saw, not for the first time, a cyclist on a single-speed or fixed gear bike, a converted racing road bike, flying down that hill. You could see that he was wearing hipster garb: dark-colored knickers, a dark-colored sweater and a dingy white cotton, short-billed cycling cap.

You could not see if the bike had a brake at either end. You could see that the bike had no reflectors or reflective tape or blinky lights - no nods toward making bike and rider visible.

You knew you were looking at a bike that had been assembled from a box of cool old parts and a iconic frame. Nothing unstudied about the bike or the rider's clothing. No expense spared in the pursuit of cool-dude conspicuity.

I believe I'd have spent the $19.95 for the tiny red flashing taillight that could make all the difference on nighttime city streets. The little light is not as cool, perhaps, as those old Campagnolo cranks, though...or that Brooks saddle...

When those cranks and that frame were new, bike lights were dim, clunky, ugly and unreliable. Today, they're bright, unobtrusive and dependable. I think they're cool. I feel the same way about brakes...and helmets. I like 'em.

Opinions vary, evidently.

No comments: