Monday, November 26, 2007

Blog oozes under more doors, Blob-like

As many of you know, I contribute to magazines focusing on bicycling and motorcycling. Several of those magazines graciously mention my blog on the page that carries my column.

If you have found your way here from CityBike (San Francisco Bay Area), the Bicycle Paper (Pac NW), the Bike Friday or Salvagetti Cycles web sites, Cycling Torque (Auckland, NZ) or because you saw the link scrawled on a public restroom wall, welcome to my blog.

Writing about anything, even fun things like bicycling and motorcycling, is solitary work. A few friends do read and comment on nearly everything I write before I send it off. They are my friends though - and are reluctant to say critical things that may need to be said.

You, thanks to the miracle of email and web logs, can say them!

I write this pieces, and lightweight as they may seem, I get involved in them and worry that you'll like them and that they work. Often I'm afraid that my most heartfelt pieces will not make sense to anyone who isn't sitting at my computer in my office, wearing my clothes.

So... If you read something of mine online or on a printed page, and you have some feeling about it - that it's the worst thing you've ever read, or the best thing you've read since 3:00, or you couldn't figure out what I meant by whatever it was, and if you worry about writing letters to editors - please send me a comment via this blog.

You won't have to worry about seeing your letter in print, and you can expect a personal reply. If you thought my blog post or magazine article was badly written, you may conclude that the personal reply is similarly awful. Doesn't mean I'm not grateful that you wrote.

1 comment:

Joshua Barker said...

I found this green slime-like substance coming out my keyboard, and realized I am yet another victim of your blog's outreach.

Maynard, I like reading your unique perspective on things - and especially like to read about, see pictures of, the jokers from our Thursday night dinner crew.

Keep writing and I'll keep reading. Hope to see you soon!